Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Oh how global we are

Sidewalk art outside a subte entrance.

The financial crisis has sent Argentina into quite a tizzy as well, the only difference being that Argentines are decidedly more adjusted to being in a tizzy about the state of their economy, while we Americans are still new to this. Argentina's economy hit a low in 2001, the peso fell to the floor and an enormous number of people lost of their jobs, so, as the economy goes south around the world, a lot of people in BA are experiencing a bit of dejavu.

Most of the papers here cover the elections closely, and my English students are superinterested in what I think of American politics.  They are fascinated by Obama, and they like to ask me point blank which candidates I'm "for," as if the election is a futbol game with diehard fans and a longstanding rivalry. 

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of expounding on my political beliefs at a recent dinner with a family from the local Chabad. (They asked! I swear I would never bring up politics at a shabbat dinner. Talking about it was certainly against my better judgment). I was rewarded with a lengthy and questionably sourced lecture (err, discussion?) on Obama's terrorist ties and how his election would lead to the triumph of the Arab world and the coming of the Messiah. 

I think "awkward" would be a good way to describe the rest of the evening. 

In other news, I just bought a bus ticket for Rosario, so I'll be spending most the weekend out of town. I know nothing about the town, except that my favorite Colombian pop singer has a an awesome song called "Rosario Tijeras." 

CHAU!

Julie

P.S. Click here to see Kenneth Cole's AWEARNESS blog, which is featuring my Thailand video!


"Uniforms distort man and make him crazy" 
(bueno . . . excuse my horrible translation skills)

No comments: