Monday, January 19, 2009

Palermo, te amo.

Palermo, I love you.
Hello!

It has now been almost three weeks since I officially moved into my new place, so I feel authorized to publicly proclaim my love for Palermo, my new neighborhood. Not that my old barrio, Villa Crespo, didn't have its own charms (hmm at the moment only one comes to mind and that's a cheese shop that was oh-so-cleverly named ''Villa Queso." Haha? Get it? Sounds like Villa Crespo? No? Hmm . . .) but I didn't realize that living on such a crazy huge street was really wearing me down.

Let's just say my old digs were more ''I live with Rockville Pike outside my bedroom window and it's rush hour all the time!" and my new place is a lot more cobblestony, leafy and generally pleasant. Amanda and Ellen helped me discover that we also have the cheapest ice cream shop in Buenos Aires at my doorstep (Dulce de leche ice cream, anyone? No? What about dulce de leche with cherries? Dulce de leche with chocolate chips? Vanilla with dulce de leche pieces? Or if that's not Argentine enough for you, dulce de leche with dulce de leche pieces?). I've also struck up a ''relationship'' with the old lady who spends her entire day peering out the yellow-grated window in her first floor apartment across the street. (Who is she watching?) And by relationship I mean she knows that I know that she's watching everyone.

Besides the one night when the couple in the building next door decided to have a not-so-private break up between the hours of 5 am and 6 am, and besides the day that I broke the toilet (long story), everything has been going swimmingly.

I spent Sunday photoadventuring, and was happy to discover that someone else felt the need to proclaim their love for Palermo (see photo above).

Above: Sunset from our living room.


Above: Spotted in my neighborhood.


Above: The graffitti fairy doing her work to make Palermo
look interesting (check out the can of spray paint in her hand).

No comments: