Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Questionable habits

If you thought cell phones were used for talking, you were wrong, wrong, wrong. In this city, they are devices used for text messaging. (Talking? That's so 2002). Texting your Grandma, your girlfriend, the doorman who is standing in the hallway next to your office -- here in Buenos Aires they love the text message. No fear of getting a barrage of unwanted calls from that creepy guy you met at a bar in Palermo -- he'll never actually speak to you, you'll just receive a litany of texts wanting to know q tal estas? (Or, if you're really lucky, q tal estas?!?!?!?!?!? Punctuation marks have really caught on here, too).

Really, in Buenos Aires, they put teenagers to the U.S. to shame.

So I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that I've noticed a new trend: Texting while riding riding your bicycle during rush hour. Yes, this happens, and frequently. I should also mention that Buenos Aires is severely lacking in stop signs, patient people and traffic laws in general. It is, however, quite full of potholes. And, I think I've mentioned this before, home to the widest street in the world.

The fact that portenos drive like beer-fueled race car drivers, however, has not stopped bicyclists from sending off a quick love note to a novia while pedaling down Avenida de Mayo. I've heard you get bonus points if you are typing, wearing headphones and balancing delivery food in the basket of your two-wheeler, because this I've also seen.

The government recently implemented a "Please-for-the-love-of-God-use-your-helmet" campaign, and they've posted yellow "USA CASCO" (Use your helmet!) signs all over the city. This is mostly directed at motorcyclists, but I'm wondering if the bicyclists will also pick up on it.

I've noticed, however, that portenos have some questionable habits in the health and safety department -- mostly a love affair with red meat, cigarettes and plastic surgery -- so I have my doubts.

No comments: