Friday, September 26, 2008

Little victories













These are the little victories of living abroad: Because everything is still fairly new and totally different, I can bask in
 "accomplishments" like successfully sending a package at the post office (check),  learning new and crazy Argentine verbs (ok, I learned one last night, I just wish I'd written it down . . .) and semi-mastering the colectivo system.

I'm still working on perfecting the perfect not-too-rude-but-very-forceful "NO" response when cashiers ask me for monedas. I've been hoarding those babies like no other (if you're confused - I blogged a few days ago about the shortage of coins in the city, and the fact that you need to use coins to ride all the buses). I was doing really well - and hadn't given in to a single pleading cashier - until two days ago at the grocery store. After replying "NO," and that I didn't have "ni una moneda," my bulging change purse quickly leaked at least five monedas all over the floor. Woops.

Anyway, yesterday I took a field trip to the city's famous Recoleta Cemetery. Strange, but my favorite part of the city so far has been the cemetery - it's high walls and clean paseos are a relief from the nitty gritty city. Pictures here.


Two Julies!  There I am on the left, and the right . . .

No comments: